Destination Communication Intern
Kickstart your career in one of the most fun industries in the world – travel and tourism! In the Destination Communication Intern role you will be assisting our marketing team with positioning the Green Bay region as a world-class destination for leisure, business and group travel. In other words – you simply get to share your love of our community. You will also get to network with local media, government officials and business leaders in the Green Bay area. In this part-time role you will research travel and social media trends, help with content development, identify key social media influencers and travel journalists and assist in local community relations. Are you ready to dive into the world of travel?
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist in identifying social media influencers that match Discover Green Bay’s brand and social media aesthetic.
- Utilize our media CRM to find journalists that are active in travel and tourism publications and topics.
- Assist in finding and capturing key community locations, events and businesses to feature on social media and journalist pitches.
- Write creative, brand-cohesive blog posts and website content.
- Write copy for email marketing campaigns.
- Write press releases for local media outlets to communicate the impact and importance of tourism in our community
- Capture photos and video for events, promotions, advertising and marketing.
- Demonstrate the Company’s Values and Culture.
- Performs other related Discover Green Bay activities as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Must be a current student enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program in communications or marketing – junior or senior preferred.
- Experience in public relations, marketing/digital marketing and social media management a plus.
- Previous internship experience preferred.
- Exceptional “iPhone photographer” – formal photography/videography experience a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Basic understanding of SEO best practices, keywords, etc.
- Basic graphic design skills.
- Experience in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud, video editing software, data analytics and social content media management.
- Not afraid of learning new tech/systems.
- Effective project and time management skills.
- Effective understanding/use of the latest technologies and online forums.
- Desire to continually learn about and implement new ideas and industry best practices.
- Passionate about the travel and tourism industry and brings that enthusiasm and positive attitude to work every day.
- High-performing, innovative individual who operates with exceptional collaboration.
- Required to follow all safety standards including but not limited to all federal, state, and organizational rules and regulations.
EQUIPMENT TO BE USED:
- Software as a service systems (SaaS) to assist with project management, data intelligence, social media, digital marketing, and content creation.
- Photography equipment and video gear including digital cameras, lenses, filters, microphones, camcorder, etc.
- Audio/Visual equipment such as projectors and other presentation/speaker related equipment.
- Trade show booths, displays and equipment associated with trade shows.
- Must be able to operate a motor vehicle and have a valid driver’s license.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
Frequent mobility and/or sitting or standing required for extended periods of time. Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer keyboard and other standard office equipment. Requires hearing within normal range and eyesight correctable to 20/20 to read communications, reports and computer terminals. Must have a valid driver’s license in order to perform outside sales calls. Requires occasional lifting, up to 50 pounds. May require some irregular work hours.
TYPICAL MENTAL DEMANDS:
Must be able to use logical or scientific thinking to solve problems and perform arithmetic calculations involving fractions, decimals and percentages. Emotional stability and personal maturity are important attributes in this position in order to deal with a variety of emotions and frustrations in making business decisions and handling difficult situations. Must be able to communicate providing verbal feedback in a professional manner. Requires public contact and excellent interpersonal skills. Ability to give, receive, and analyze information, formulate work plans, prepare written materials and articulate goals and action plans. Occasional high-stress work may be required in the performance of this job. Must be able to advise others on alternatives or options and speak before groups.
Normal office environment with little exposure to excessive noise, dust, temperate and the like.
Subject to outside sales calls, so is exposed on a frequent basis to temperature extremes.
Reports to the Vice President of Digital Marketing & Communications.
To apply please send your resume to our VP of Business and Finance at firstname.lastname@example.org.